By default, being a parent makes you a little extra supportive and helpful towards your children. But, you definitely do not want your children to depend entirely on you and never make their own decisions and choices in life. Asking for advice is one thing but relying completely on you for their money, for their decisions, for their living is not a situation that you would prefer for them.
Here are some ways which can help you in raising self-reliant children:
- The more they do by themselves, the more independent they tend to become. Make your child do all her tasks from arranging her study table, to making her bed and organising her cupboard.
- As your children grow, it is important to familiarize them with all the daily household tasks. If they know how to cook, wash clothes and dishes properly, they can live by themselves when needed.
- It is wiser to keep mum when you see your child trying something new and making a mistake. Let her hold accountability for her attempts and give your advice only when asked for.
- From clothing, to accessories, books and other things, when they make their own choices, they learn about things better. Allow them the freedom to choose on their own with reasonable limits.
- Goals help your children to be focused. Encourage your children to set short term and long term goals for themselves and work towards them.