“At the stroke of the midnight hour, when the world sleeps, India will awake to life and freedom. A moment comes, which comes but rarely in history, when we step out from the old to the new….India discovers herself again.” – Jawaharlal Nehru
The aforesaid words were said by the first Prime Minister of the independent India. One thing that strikes everyone’s mind after listening to the word ‘independence’ is freedom or “aazaadi”. Long back, our country had to witness cruelties from the British. More than 200 years of their rule had left Indians with no hope of setting themselves free from the brutal activities and endless tortures. But in the midnight of 15th August, 1947, India got freedom from the British rule. We became a free country from the British Colonial Rule. Since then, on this day, we celebrate the Independence Day with zeal and enthusiasm. The most important thing is that we remember and pay homage to the legends, the freedom fighters – Sukhdev, Rajguru, Chandershekhar Azad and many others who fought till their last breath to set us free from the long rule of the British.
When is Independence Day 2012?
Independence Day 2012 will be celebrated on Wednesday, 15th August across the country.
How to Celebrate the Independence Day?
Independence Day is an opportunity to show your patriotism in little special ways. Here are some tips to celebrate Independence Day 2012:
- This Independence Day, take a walk outside your house, pick up all the litter and dispose it off properly.
- Take this day as an opportunity to help the poor and the destitute. So, indulge in charitable activities during the day.
- Listen to the patriotic songs and more importantly, try to understand the lyrical content of the songs. Encourage your friends and family members to join you in singing patriotic songs such “Vande Mataram” and raise slogans like Jai Hind and ‘Bharat Mata Ki Jai’, in chorus.
- Decorate your home with tri-colour balloons and ribbons, to put across the thoughts of patriotism.
- To honour the day, dress-up in a way that reflects your feeling of patriotism. You may wear a tri-colour scarf/dupatta or accessorize your dress with a tri-colour sweatband/bangle.
So, this year, use the above mentioned tips to make Independence Day celebrations worth memorable for many years to come!