It’s April fool’s Day! And you are an April fool!”
“Hey Raju! Don’t get sad.
- April fool’s is a day for celebrating light heartedness!
- It is celebrated on the Ist of April.
- On this day, people play pranks and tricks on their friends.
Do you know how it started?”
“Let me tell you about it. It is believed that:
- The April fool’s Day tradition began in France during the Sixteenth Century.
- In 1582, during the rule of King Charles IX, Pope Gregory introduced a new calendar for people.
- According to which the New Year’s Date shifted from April 1 to January 1.
- But at that time, the means of communication were not very fast, co many people could not be informed about the new calendar.
- As a result, these people continued to celebrate the New Year on the old date & therefore they were called April Fools.
- Over the years, this practice evolved into an annual tradition of prank-playing and became popular in the entire world.
The most common April Fool’s traditional customs are:
- In France and many other French-speaking places, the most common prank played is to stick a cardboard fish to the back of a person.
- In UK, playing pranks is accepted till mid-day, after which anybody who plays a trick, is himself called the “April Fool”
Now you know that April fool’s day is actually a joyful celebration.