World Environment Day is a day that reminds us about our Environment. It is celebrated every year on June 5. World Environment day was started and introduced by the United Nations (UN) to arouse worldwide awareness and concern for ‘our environment’. In order words we can say that it is a day to promote caring for our planet, ‘Earth’. The theme of the World Environment Day 2009 is “Your planet needs you, unite to combat climate change”.
The day’s agenda (according to UN) is to:
- Give a human face to environmental issues;
- Empower people to become active agents of sustainable and equitable development;
- Promote an understanding that communities are pivotal to changing attitudes towards environmental issues;
- Advocate partnership which will ensure all nations and peoples enjoy a safer and more prosperous future.
Today World Environment Day is celebrated almost everywhere including India. Schools and colleges also celebrate this day by organizing various activities and contests for children like:
- Street rallies/parades
- Essay writing/poster making competitions
- Tree plantation
- Collage work
- Paper re-cycling
- Clean-up campaigns and much more.
Some schools also organize seminars and workshops wherein they invite experts from various fields who educate children on topics like how to keep their environment clean, why it is important to care for the environment, what can they do for their environment. Similarly preschools also organize activities like ‘Nature Walk’, ‘Plant-a-tree’ etc for children on World Environment Day.
Here are things that you can do on World Environment Day:
- Adopt ‘green’ way of life
- Organize awareness campaigns
- Plan Clean-up campaigns
- Conduct Competitions (drawing, painting, essay writing, poster making, poetry etc)
- Have conferences or seminars on environmental issues
- Also have debate competition and quiz.
- Distribute leaflets, brochures and posters in the society or wherever possible.
- Organize excursions to nature sites or go for a nature walk
- Plan exhibitions in your school/college etc.
- Plant a tree
- Organize puppet show for children with an environmental message
- Save paper and most importantly
- Keep your neighborhood clean……..
So let’s take an oath today to protect our earth, our environment from climatic change and other disasters.
Click Here for :
Information on Shemford Schools, an upcoming chain of 10+2 Schools
Delhi Public School Hostel admissions
- Mega Show Case 2009: An Amazing Celebration by Shemrock
- Shemrock presents MAD live Summer Camp 2009 with POGO
- Shemrock Summer Camp 2009… Unlimited Fun, Masti & Learning
- Opt for Montessori school and assure child-centred learning
Tags: Environment day 2009, world environment day, world environment day 2009, world environment day activities