Sakkarai Pongal Recipe
“Sakkarai Pongal” is a popular dish made for TamilNadu’s most popular festival “PONGAL” (celebrated as Mahar Shankranthi in the North India).Its main ingredient is jaggery rich in Iron and therefore is a healthy but heavy food.It exists from the 17th century as PONGAL is a farmer’s festival.
1 cup raw rice
1/2 cup green gram dhal
1 cup milk
2 1/2 cups water
3 cups jaggery powdered (sugar)
4 tbsp ghee
2 tbsp cashewnuts
2 tbsp raisins
5 cardamoms powdered
2 cloves powdered
1 small piece nutmeg grated or powdered
A pinch of saffron
How to make Sakkarai Pongal
- Roast dry the green gram dhal for a couple of minutes.
- Cook the rice and green gram dhal with 2 1/2 cups of water and 1 cup milk in the microwave and set aside.
- Dissolve the jaggery in 3/4 cup water and cook on a low heat till the jaggery melts.
- Strain the jaggery to remove the dirt.
- Put the syrup once more on the heat and stir till it becomes slightly sticky.
- Add the cooked rice and dhal.
- Heat the 4 tbsp ghee.
- Fry the cashewnuts and raisins and add to the pongal.
- Add the powdered cardamoms,cloves nutmeg and saffron.
- Mix well.
- Serve hot.
This sweet recipe is very common Sweet Pongal .
Click Here for :
Information on Shemford Schools, an upcoming chain of 10+2 Schools
Delhi Public School Hostel admissions
- Recipes For Guru Purab
- Diwali Recipes
Tags: Pongal, Pongal Festival, Pongal Recipe, Sakkarai Pongal, Sakkarai Pongal Recipe, Sweet Pongal Recipe